News Flash Home
The original item was published from 9/13/2017 8:44:56 AM to 10/1/2017 12:05:04 AM.

News Flash

Sunrise City News

Posted on: September 13, 2017

[ARCHIVED] City of Fort Pierce Post Hurricane Irma Advisory #4

September 12, 2017 | 8:00 PM
Contact: Shyanne Helms, 772.467.3034

As of Tuesday evening, here's the latest information:

City Hall

City Hall will reopen to the public on Wednesday, September 13 at 8:00 AM.

FPUA Update


In the hours after Hurricane Irma moved away from Fort Pierce, over 23,700 of FPUA electric customers were without power. Although the power to many of our customers was restored quickly, there were more aftereffects to come. FPUA’s equipment worked as it was designed to, but late Monday two substations lost power as a result of salt tracking (when dried salt spray on the insulators is moistened by the humidity in the air) resulting in grounding faults. This caused outage numbers to increase. Hurricane Irma caused other issues such as debris and vegetation bringing down lines, flooding, wind and lightning. Although this is the largest power outage in recent FPUA history, the efforts of 34 lineman working 16 hour days has successfully restored power to 58% of those customers that experienced an outage. We will remain diligent until the remaining 42% of FPUA customers are restored. We ask that our customers exercise patience and remain vigilant. Watch for and report any downed power lines you see. Do not touch any power lines or any debris that might be touching those lines. Your safety is our primary concern.


FPUA’s Water Reclamation Facility on South Hutchinson Island is running efficiently.


FPUA’s potable water system maintained its integrity and is safe for all customers.

Natural Gas

FPUA’s natural gas services were undamaged by Hurricane Irma and customers were not affected.

Health Department

The Florida Department of Health in St. Lucie County urges residents to avoid walking or playing in flood waters to avoid illness from bacteria or electrocution.

Be sure to “tip-and-toss” standing water to prevent the breeding of mosquitoes.

Jetty Park

Jetty Park is closed until further notice due to the effects of Hurricane Irma.


An emergency shelter at the Percy Peek Gym, 2902 Avenue D in Fort Pierce is now open for residents effected by Hurricane Irma thanks to assistance from the American Red Cross, the City of Fort Pierce and St. Lucie County. Individuals should bring items needed for comfort, including: blankets, linens, non-perishable food for individual preference or dietary needs. Medications in prescription bottles, medical supplies, medical equipment. Personal items; important papers, glasses, hygiene articles, clothing, flashlight, quiet games i.e cards, books.

State of Emergency

At the Special Commission Meeting tonight the City Commission extended the Declaration of Local Emergency through September 20 to continue providing enhanced emergency response to our community.

Trash Collection

Normal household garbage and recycling collection will take place on the resident’s next scheduled day. Residents with yard waste and storm debris should separate material in two piles along the right of way, not in the road. Please take care not to block access to fire hydrants and utility boxes. Avoid placing debris under low hanging wires.

Traffic Lights

There are many traffic lights out all over town. Treat any intersection with inoperable traffic lights like a 4-way stop. Same for any intersection without stop signs. See St. Lucie County’s list of road closures as of 1:30 PM:

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Sunrise City News

Fort Pierce Holiday Happenings 2023

2023 Holiday Happenings in Fort Pierce

Posted on: November 17, 2023

Mayor’s Gold Hammer Award Winners

Posted on: November 2, 2023