Attractions . . .
Indian Hills Golf Course has been a cornerstone of Fort Pierce since 1938. The Par 72 course, designed by Herbert Strong, challenges and welcomes golfers of all levels of play. For those not up to par, Indian Hills offers a variety of quality instruction by PGA Professionals, which include private instructions, group lessons and junior golf instructions.
Seven Gables Visitors Information Center
This circa 1905 home was restored and moved to the waterfront in the late 1990's by the City of Fort Pierce. Then in January 2000 the city opened it as the Seven Gables House Visitor Center. Now operated by the St. Lucie County Chamber of Commerce, it is open Tuesday through Saturday for tours of this and to provide information about the local area.
Completed in 1923, the Sunrise was built as a vaudeville theatre. The interior features a full-size stage, orchestra pit and balcony. Closed in 1983, the theatre is being renovated to its original elegance as a 1200 seat performing arts theatre
Old City Hall
Old City Hall is one of the best-regarded and frequently used buildings on the Treasure Coast of Florida. Built at the height of the Florida boom in 1925, it was the first historic building to be restored in downtown Fort Pierce in 1995. Since then, historic preservation has been one of the principal successes of Fort Pierce's redevelopment efforts and many beloved landmarks have found a new life in the contemporary world. To rent the second floor for a special event, please call (772) 466-3880.
Manatee Observation and Education Center
(406 North Indian River Drive)
The Manatee Observation and Education Center is open year-round and features a classroom, exhibit area and gift shop open six days a week. Manatees can be observed in Moore's Creek all year long, although more are found frolicking in the Creek in the winter months.
The Backus Gallery
(500 North Indian River Drive)
Backus Gallery is home of "Bean" Backus, Florida's foremost landscape artist. Many of his Florida landscape paintings are displayed here.
The Backus Studio
122 A E Backus Avenue
Fort Pierce City Marina
(1 Avenue A)
Fort Pierce City Marina is the only downtown marina serving the Treasure Coast. Conveniently located along the beautiful Indian River Lagoon, the marina is one of Florida's best all-weather inlets and offers 284 slips.
Heathcote Botanical Garden
(210 Savannah Road)
A live museum of tropical flowers and foliage, both from native and exotic, including an enchanting Japanese Garden. Educational programs year round.
St. Lucie County Regional History Center
(414 Seaway Drive) (772) 462-1795
The Smithsonian Institute once described the St. Lucie County Historical Museum as “an unusually fine historical museum.” Located along the Indian River Lagoon, the Historical Museum features silver and gold from a fleet of 11 Spanish ships that sank during a 1715 hurricane. That and other sunken treasure helped the area earn the reputation as Florida’s “Treasure Coast.” The museum also features equipment from turn-of-the-century industries that help shape St. Lucie County, such as fishing, pineapple, cattle and citrus, as well as artifacts from the 1838 Seminole War For more information visit - http://www.stlucieco.gov/history/index.htm.
(3300 North A1A) (772) 595-5845
*St. Lucie County Marine Center
The National Navy UDT-SEAL Museum is the only museum dedicated solely to preserving the history of the Navy SEALs and their predecessors, including the Underwater Demolition Teams, Naval Combat Demolition Units, Office of Strategic Services Maritime Units and Amphibious Scouts and Raiders. Located in Fort Pierce, Florida - the birthplace of the Navy Frogman - the Museum promotes public education by providing the opportunity to explore the history of the Navy SEALs in an atmosphere of respect and honor.
Smithsonian Marine Station
(701 Seaway Drive, Fort Pierce, FL 34949 - 772-462-6220)
The Smithsonian Marine Station (SMS) at Fort Pierce, Florida is a research center specializing in marine biodiversity and ecosystems of Florida. Research focuses on the Indian River Lagoon and the offshore waters of Florida's east central coast, with comparative studies throughout coastal Florida. Free public tours are available on the third Thursday of each month with a reservation, which can be made by calling Laura at 772-462-6216.
The Station, a facility of the National Museum of Natural History, is part of the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC, and serves as a field station which draws scientists and students from the Smithsonian and collaborating institutions around the world to investigate the plants, animals and physical processes in the ocean and Indian River Lagoon.http://www.sms.si.edu/general.htm
St. Lucie County Aquarium, featuring the Smithsonian Marine Ecosystems Exhibit
Watch as the animals in the ecosystems are given their food, led by exhibit staff, during daily Feeding Frenzy tours each morning at 10:30am and each afternoon at 2:30pm. On Saturdays at 2:00pm, lab staff conduct behind-the-scenes tours that highlight the systems that keep the ecosystems functioning properly. All tours are free with the price of admission. Hours are Tuesday through Saturday 10am-4pm; Sundays noon-4pm, and Mondays (Nov-Mar) 10am-4pm.
Admission rates are adults:$4, students and seniors: $3, under 4: years of age free. Admission is free on the first Tuesday of the month. Group rates are available with advance notice.
The Aquarium is located at 420 Seaway Drive, South Hutchinson Island, Fort Pierce. For more information, call (772) 462-FISH. For school/group bookings, please call (772) 465-3271 or visit http://www.sms.si.edu/SMEE.
Fort Pierce Magnet School for the Arts
The Magnet School for the Arts buildings housed the first high school in St. Lucie County. At the time, city leaders designed schools to last well into the future, and to be elegant and noticeable. Today, several buildings in these well-planned urban campus have been skillfully restored and the surrounding historic neighborhood has become a very attractive place to live.
The Downtown roundabout is the best-known public space in the city. It was the first of many streets rebuilt in the mid -1990's designed to improve pedestrian safety and enhance the aesthetics of otherwise routine public works. Future urban projects throughout the Treasure Coast of Florida, including several roundabouts built in Fort Pierce and St. Lucie County, followed many of its innovative features.
Willie B. Ellis Police Substation
The Willie B. Ellis Police Substation is a beautiful public building. The street and building were designed to complement each other with a porch that wraps around the sidewalk and a small public meeting room.
(101 Melody Lane)
The new Public Library is the most used facility in the library system. Citizens and visitors enjoy the waterfront location and the comfort of the Mediterranean style building. The Library was the first new public building of the 1990's and was constructed in a very visible location and designed to inspire a new standard of construction for future downtown buildings. The Library's reading room overlooks the Indian River Lagoon and the downtown's waterfront park.